Tooth loss is a condition experienced by a lot of people due to different factors. Despite the advances in professional oral health care services, missing a tooth or two can still be unavoidable. Some of the major causes are poor oral care, injuries, or advancing age. Fortunately, restorative dentistry options came to help patients regain their lost teeth. Patients do not need to avoid eating certain foods and restrict themselves from speaking or smiling when with other people.
Dentures, a type of restorative appliance can replace single, multiple, and even the entire lost teeth. The device consists of a gum-colored base that holds the fake teeth in place. Compared to the dentures in the past, newer options use natural-looking materials to ensure a restoration that resembles real teeth for better aesthetics. Besides this, patients are assured that not only the appearance is secured but also its functionality.
However, despite its durability, dentures are still subject to damage especially if proper care and maintenance are not observed. Dentures may be an artificial appliance, but they deserve the same attention as the natural structures to stay in great shape. So, to secure the function, appearance, and longevity of the oral restoration, here are some tips we at Douglasville Dental Associates have prepared!
Denture Care Tips
- Avoid using the front portion of dentures for biting and pulling on foods since it can cause the appliance to chip or break.
- Oral care should be performed not only for the teeth but the gums as well. Remember, this structure keeps the dentures in place. Therefore, compromising the gums can cause the appliance to change in fit and function.
- Clean the dental device using a soft-bristled toothbrush, warm water, and denture cleaner. Take caution by filling the sink with water or placing soft towels to avoid breaking the appliance when dropped.
- Never use hot water for it can cause the dentures to warp. Keep in mind to use cleaners that are nonabrasive to avoid scratching the surface which can welcome harmful accumulations.
- Let the mouth rest by removing the dentures during sleep to avoid any complications like sores, swelling, or infection that can jeopardize the overall oral health. Soak the appliance in a solution to keep it well-sanitized.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene at home and routine dental visits to keep the dentures and oral structures in excellent shape. Make sure to schedule appointments as advised for the dentist to make necessary adjustments to keep the perfect fit of the device.
For patients who are thinking of investing for dentures, we at Douglasville Dental Associates offer removable full and partial appliance, as well as a fixed partial prosthesis using bridges.
Aiming to restore your teeth as natural as it was before? Contact us to know more about Dentures/Partials in Douglasville, GA, or to schedule your appointment with Douglasville Dental Associates!